lundi 28 juillet 2008

Julie-Anne's First Blog Entry and Life Story (so far)

I started life in Wakefield, Massachusetts for my first eighteen years. At nineteen, I officially transitioned from full-time boy to full-time girl. I speak English, je parle français, und ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

I graduated from high school in June 2001, being a real mouton noir (black sheep, or maybe it's better to say mouton blanc, white sheep). I was supposed to wear a red gown like "all the other boys" but wore a white one instead, just like all the other girls.

So in September 2001 until December 2003, I was in college. A fellow student asked me if I'd help reactivate the GLBT group, I agreed, and that was pretty much my legacy there...

In January 2002, I travelled to Montreal for my SRS. I was in such awe at how different the culture was- a culture that was very open-minded, accepting of change, and its overwhelming diversity. I resolved right there and then to make it my new home.

I took a couple of French courses back in Boston later that year, and in January 2004, I took my first French course in Montreal, conducted exclusively in French. A few months later, I graduated from college with my associate college diploma in computer technology.

I went back to Wakefield in April 2004 to help my family move to Arizona, where they retired. In September 2004, I moved back to Montreal to continue learning French. From then until September 2005 was when I made most of my friends. All of my friends live in Quebec and either don't speak English, or my French is better than their English. I had to move back to the US in September 2005 because I needed work experience to immigrate to Quebec.

I moved in with family in Allenstown, New Hampshire. Talk about the middle of fucking nowhere! Most of the businesses aren't accessible by sidewalks, so if you don't drive (like I didn't) you basically have to take your life into your own hands and walk on the small highway or the back road (which are both equally dangerous). That's where I learned to drive. Then the town's cops screwed their records up and arrested my brother... for a parking ticket he paid. The assistant district attorney quickly found out what happened, and got things "straightened out".

So, what did I do there? From September 2005 until November 2005, I was looking for work. I wanted to work with my brother, but his company had this bitch in charge of human resources, whom didn't hire anyone before she was asked to resign. In the meantime, I finally found a job at Wal-Mart in nearby Concord. I got to bring in shopping carriages. And at the end, January 2006, I got pneumonia, and thankfully, a new job at my brother's job.

So what did I do there? Well, if you've ever called an 800 number you saw on TV late at night, you might have gotten to talk with me. I did that for six months, until 20 July, 2006, when I left to prepare to move to Saint Albans, Vermont.

I chose Saint Albans because it's close to the border and Burlington, so I could visit my friends in Montreal every couple of weeks, while waiting for the immigration stuff. It's not a bad place, really. A quaint downtown, plus the beautiful mountains and Lake Champlain. And it's closer to Canada than to Burlington (where I worked) ! :-)

I worked at Sears, a 26-mile (42km) drive south. A nice ride three seasons out of four. The fourth season, winter, is a different story. The roads can be absolutely treacherous (especially if you don't have winter tires).

One awesome thing I wasn't expecting at Sears: I worked with two other trans girls (and there was a third towards the end of my stay in Vermont).

At Sears, I did merchandising, which is basically putting up and taking down signs, as well as doing price changes. From September 2006 until May 2007, I did that in the softlines (clothing, costume jewelry, and bed, bath, and kitchen) part-time.

I had to get another part time job to make ends meet. I made the mistake of having a $600 place plus no electricity (almost nothing) or gas heat (easily $200 during the winter). I ended up working at the Price Chopper (a supermarket) close to my mother job. I started in seafood (coming home smelling like fish... yummy) and transferred to bagging groceries at the checkout.

Now, the bad thing is that while I could now make ends meet, I was earning just enough to make me ineligible for medicaid, despite the fact that neither of my jobs offered health insurance. Not fun. If anything major happened to me, I would have been seriously fucked.

In May 2007, I got a promotion to full-time at Sears doing the same things, but working in hardlines (hardware, lawn and garden, electronics, and appliances). I also had to restock merchandise. Not only was I able to get rid of my supermarket job, but I was able to get my medicaid back.

Then in July 2007, I went to New York for my immigration interview at the Quebec Consulate at Rockefeller Plaza. It didn't go well. According to her opinion, I was a few points shy of meeting the cutoff, because I haven't gone to university yet, plus she said my French was "only intermediate". But she said she would try.

It's not a pleasant experience to see one of your life's goals suddenly explode in front of your eyes. I went to the ladies' room at Rockefeller Plaza, got myself together (I didn't lose it, but I wasn't that far) and made a new goal. During my trip, I was in awe of New York. It was my frist visit there in my life and I've always wanted to go since I was a child. My new goal: move to New York. That was basically what I had accepted for the next three weeks. I came back from work three weeks after my interview with a large envelope from Immigration Quebec waiting for me. Figuring it was a denial with my right to appeal, I opened it. Enclosed was my CAQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec). I was accepted.

In August 2007, my lease finally expired, and I found a room for rent just two houses up. $400 all included except for phone and cable internet (why Verizon's internet division thinks that place doesn't exist is beyond me). Now I could put some money in the bank for the next move to Montreal.

Then in October 2007, I got promoted back downstairs as team leader, doing my old job, plus management tasks. I also became eligible for private health insurance. Then in February 2008, I got asked for my passport by the Canadian Consulate for my PR visa and a couple of weeks later, I was cleared to move here. Bye-bye Sears, time to look for somewhere to live in Montreal.

It's certainly not easy deciding to leave your country. However, I do have to do what is in my best interests and objectives for the future.

Since I've been here (landed 22 March, 2008), I've taken a full-time French course for immigrants from the Quebec government. I got a certificate of completion and I'm now ready to work.

I've also figured out what I want to do in the future. I want to become a nurse. I've always felt a need to pay back the medical community for what it's done for me, and I've found that's the best option for me.

Then a concern cropped up. Once I get my BSN, I'm going to have to take a test to prove my abilities in French. I've taken courses conducted in French, so normally that wouldn't concern me. However, this test apparently requires prospective Quebec nurses to have university-level aptitude in the language. A few years ago, two fully-bilingual nurses working at one of the English hospitals here were fired because they failed the exam. The same thing happened to a multilingual dentist in the Outaouais. I found a practice exam and I was like: What. The. Fuck?!

So here's the plan. I'm going to take the basic courses someone with no science background (me) needs to get into a university nursing program. Biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, etc. About five years from now, I'll get my BSN from McGill. Then I'll probably leave Quebec.

Where to? Well, I've found a ton of trans girls in New York on YouTube, not to mention I think things will be considerably improved (universal health care, better access to education, basic GLBT rights) by the time I graduate. I think that's my next project.

1 commentaire:

alan a dit...

I saw your words elsewhere and was intrigued, so I followed your link; I hope you don't mind!

What a life you've led to this point! I can't imagine being brave enough to put on that white gown...

I hope the group you helped restart makes someone else's life easier, even if it only gives them a place to find someone to talk to; this world is cruel at times!

My wife is from Vermont and I know many of the places you speak of; her sister in Shelburned and her husband have told us to get our passports so next time we visit we can go to Montreal. My wife actually got to go there with a field trip when she was in school (me growing up in Kansas, I never dreamt of visiting another country on a field trip, lol).

It sounds like you are very adept at adapting your plans and your life as things change; that is a talent many of us lack in this world. I am glad you have it!

May the rest of your plans and dreams all come to fruition!

alan